Pineapple Square from Grandma Gawell’s Cookbook
4 ½ Cups flour
2 t. baking power
3 egg yolks
½ Cup sugar
8 ounces of margarine or butter ( 1 stick)
1 Cup sour cream
½ t. baking soda
½ t. salt
- Mix 1 large can of crushed pineapple, 1 C. sugar, 2 heaping T of cornstarch and 1 t. lemon extract and cook until thick, Cool
- Sift flour with baking powder and salt.
- Mix butter into it like you are making pie dough
- Add sugar
- Add soda to sour cream and then add egg yolks
- Add sour cream mixture to first mixture and knead dough until dough is smooth.
- Take about 2/3rd of this mixture and fold out on a floured board. Place in a large baking pan
- Place cooled pineapple on top of crust
- Put the rest of crust mixture in a cake decorating tube that produces flat ribbons and put horizontal and vertical ribbons on pineapple.
- Bake ~ 45 mins at 350
(this recipe was interpreted and supplemented by researching on the internet)
Grandma also had this recipe and said it was “good” but didn’t include directions or anything about pineapple
1 C sugar, 3 C . flour, 3 t. baking powder, ¼ t. salt, 1 C. shortening, 1 t. vanilla or lemon rind, 3 eggs, ½ c. sour cream or ½ c. milk makes soft dough 350 degrees for 25 mins.